At least one time a week I eat so much hot sauce that I give myself heartburn. I am not proud. It is just the truth. As a vegetarian who loves hot sauce, I knew I needed to make a veggie friendly play on buffalo wings. So here is how I do it! Don’t feel overwhelmed or intimidated when cooking with tofu. It is SO easy.
Typically I will cook a whole package of tofu at once, then I eat it every day for my lunch break until it’s gone, usually lasts about 4 servings.
What you’ll need:
- 1 brick extra firm tofu
- ½ cup Frank’s Hot Sauce
- Coconut oil
(Seriously, that’s all.)
Before: Prep your tofu!
- Make a slit in the over wrap of tofu, squeeze out the water.
- After you drain the excess water, open the rest of the package and remove the tofu. Place the tofu on 1-2 napkins on a plate.
- Wrap the tofu with 1-2 more paper towels.
- Put something on TOP of the wrapped tofu…I use another plate, a bowl, a cutting board. Anything will work. You are looking to drain and soak up the water, so as long as there is mild pressure it will be fine.
- Let this sit 5-10 minutes.
- Unwrap and cut into cubes or strips, whatever you prefer. I used cubes because I use this for either salads or wraps.
Ok, now onto the buffalo wings.
- Turn on oven to 350. Coat the tofu with a light spray of coconut oil or canola oil. Line a baking sheet with foil (helps with clean up) and place tofu on foil. Bake for 5-7 minutes…this burns! Keep an eye out. Take out of oven and throw tofu in a skillet. Toss until golden.
- Have ½ cup of hot sauce in bowl.
- Put golden tofu in bowl.
- Toss and coat the tofu with hot sauce.
So, that is it. Super easy. I use this for wraps, salads, or sometimes even just by itself with some blue cheese and celery.
Hope you like it!
Until next time, plant nothing but love.