This has become a regular dish in my house. What’s good about it is you use what you have and it’s really one of those throw it all together type meals. Now, you might notice the pin (follow me on pinterest!) I use for reference is for a slow cooker recipe, so I modified the recipe to suit my needs. Most times I forget to put all of the stuff in the slow cooker and start dinner too late to make that work. So here is what I did!
What you will need:
- I know what you are thinking, and no, you will not be eating an iPad. I used the pin as reference, hence the iPad shown in the picture.
- 1 Tbs Minced Garlic
- Onions (to taste, optional)
- 1 Cup Red Enchilada Sauce (this was the large size can, I only used half)
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning
- 1 Can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1 Can Corn
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth (I am vegetarian, but any broth will do)
- 1 Pound Butternut Squash (I found some pre-cut…less prep!)
- Rice – Preference, you could use quinoa or just eat plain as well.
- Sour Cream for Topping (I used 1 tps)
- Cheddar Cheese for Topping (I used 1/8 cup)
- Warm up some olive oil in a skillet.
- Once the oil is warm, add in the butternut squah and toss in the garlic (sometime I toss in some onions here too, it depends on what I have around the house). Toss for around 5 minutes.
- Add in enchilada sauce, taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, rinsed black beans, rinsed corn, broth. Bring to boil. Then reduce to a simmer. Cover for about 15 minutes. TIP: Stir often! I stirred about every 5 minutes, this did stick to the pan the first time I made this and did not stir.
- Take off lid and simmer for another 5 minutes.
To plate put your rice down first, then add skillet mixture. Top with sour cream and cheese. I will usually add some ground turkey or other meat product for my husband’s plate at this point too.
We usually have lots for leftovers too, at least three servings or so. Do you have a recipe like this? Let us know if you try this and if you like it!
Until next time, plant nothing but love.